Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day Six: Five People Who Mean A Lot

First of all, I've been looking forward to this one. I'm not exactly known for being the most emotional friend and I tend to be bad at telling people they mean a lot to me. So here goes nothing :)

1. My mom. Almost anyone who knows her can attest to the fact that she is the most giving, loving and genuinely kind person in the world. And those that would disagree can agree that when she does things that appear unkind, it's always out of love in some way or another (maybe even a little too much love at times). She is my best friend and my most trusted confident, the one person I could not imagine my life without.
2. Torri Hawley. One step below my mom, because she is about as close to my mom as a friend can get. Honestly, despite all of her shenanigans, I couldn't ask for a better friend. I couldn't even dream up a better friend if I tried. She is always there for me and is always by my side no matter what the activity. I truly think that if Torri Hawley decides you are worthy of her unconditional love and friendship, then you've really been graced with something incredible. I'm not really even sure how to put into words how much I love you, because "I love you" will never be enough with a friendship as great as ours and a friend as great as you.
3. Katrina Rojo. She's been my best friend for nearly a decade and despite all the changes our lives have been through, I love her exactly the same as I did when I met her back in 6th grade. Someday she will be my maid of honor and I hope to be her's. She is one of the only people (in addition to the two above) who know me completely, down to my mannerisms and tendencies and flaws, and I know her just the same. More importantly, we've always neutralized each other. When I'm with Katrina, I feel grounded. I feel like myself. She's the closest thing to a sister I've ever had.
4. This is going to be a few people grouped together, for reasons you'll see shortly :)
Anyone I spend a significant amount of time talking to regularly. These people change a lot, and some of them become good friends and some of them don't, but this really means a lot to me. It's actually kind of silly, but these kinds of people are an odd necessity in my life. And these people also tend to be people I see rarely or randomly, but always have a lot of fun with. Also important to me. I guess at this point in my life this person would probably be Todd... I think anyone who knows anything about my life probably knows that.
5. My true friends at school. I've made a lot of friends here, but I also spent a lot of my high school years figuring out the hard way who real friends are. Good, right? Kind of. It's sort of a curse in disguise, because I've gotten uncomfortably good at spotting the characteristics of true friends and not-so-true friends. This makes it hard here sometimes when I'm feeling really lonely because I have tons of friends and very few real ones. And then there are those who are often borderline good friends, or those I don't want to admit are bad friends, etc. College is really tough, when you think about it. How many of your friends would stay in with you on a Saturday night because you had the worst day ever or you're really sad or upset about something? I think your honest answer will disappoint you and make you think a little bit.
That being said, I just want to thank Myriah Borofka, Megan Landry, Mia Hanekamp, Rachel Pannu and Stacy Solo for being the most obvious true friends I have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment